Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's about time!!!

At the airport getting Laura
Girls on Christmas morning
I've received numerous requests and "jabs" to post again. It's hard to get started doing this because I have so much to say that once I get started, I really start "ranting and raving" about a myriad of things, like: oh, I don't know, like maybe if I see the always lovely Anya "Storm Troopering" around the house, almost putting her feet through floor, yelling and dramatizing beyond belief, that maybe I'll just have to take a Ukrainian Voodoo doll and completely and totally bludgeon it beyond recognition!! She looked so nice in that going-away party dress back in Mariupol...what a magical moment, now, not so much. Oh, and did I mention that teen-age Ukrainian girls know everything about everything even more than American teen-age girls!!! and there's four of them running around the house. It gets better: we have a lovely 16 year old female German foreign exchange student with us for the next five months, so now, we have potentially, a re-enactment of WWII when it comes to shower time or use of the ONE bathroom for all four of them. This blows...more later. Did I mention that I totally hate the words; "cuddle" and "snuggle"? I almost fell down the stairs tonight from over-load when I was being yelled at in Russian while listening to Laura speaking German on Skype and another one singing opera on the main level. I could literally feel my vertigo failing me, it was only my cat-like reflexes that prevented me from immanent doom. By the way, I have the best friends in the world with the Roge's, Barrett's, Houghtons, Volfs, Stoez's, Weston's, Carlson's, etc. (and others I'm totally offending by not mentioning) right here in town. Last thing: if you've been to Ukraine, rent the movie, "Everything Is Illuminated", it takes place in Ukraine, it's a bit strange, but you'll get a kick out of it. Really, the last thing: my wife is STUNNING-thank you, Lord!! :)

5 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

Hey "cuddle-muffin", thanks for the post. We were beginning to think that you did have WWI going on over there!

OK, you win! I'm not bragging, but we're not experincing the same thing that you are having to deal with. Our worst is when Nadia secretly times (on her watch) how much individual time we spend with the other two and not her. I get this: "You Kolya 15 minutes, You Julia 20 minutes, Me 5 minutes. You no like Nadia!" Last night we found her crying under her bed after such an episode. Of course she forgets about the extra time she gets while the other two are still at school...oh, no! That doesn't count in Ukrainian Math!

I'm glad to have kids that want to be with me. I pray that Anya develops into the sweet young lady we all know that she is capable of.

Love ya, Bro. From "Snuggles Roge"

Twyla, John, Duncan, Mari, and Misha said...

Matt,

Apparently you are not getting enough snuggle time in! "This too will pass" was my mantra this morning as I was getting 3 kids ready for church! I look forward to the family "snapshot" in a year, in two years, and in three years.

I can empathize with the Roges in that my cell phone calls are monitored (from a foot away), my cell phone log is scrolled through to see who I have talked to. Now our home e-mail is scrutinized - this beyond our US Mail being examined when it comes in. I kiss Mish too many times at night and her too few. I love Duncan more - no thought that he has been in our lives for 9+ years vs. 2+ months! I talk about her all the time - paranoia to the max! Add to this a huge crying jag because she couldn't get her seat belt hooked in the car today - no hurry, she was adding the drama and offered that if she was strong she would smash my car into little bits and put it in the trash! One of her favorite phrases is "I know" as a pat answer to everything - when she hasn't a clue!

On the other end, I am spit at for trying to put his socks on, hit as he walks by, yelled at to "shuuuut uuup" in heavy accented English (it took me a while to figure it out - alot like that cartoon German lady on the tanning commercials plus I was trying to make Ukrainian out of it which just wasn't working), and he would rather be squished by an oncoming car than hold my hand crossing a parking lot!

Maybe a bathroom schedule posted on a white board outside of the bathroom and more mirrors in the bedrooms for make-up/hair blow-drying, etc. would make the mornings more bearable!

The drama at home is for your guys' benefit. I think she is testing to the max to be sure that you guys are "it" and that you are going to hang in there.

She is a sweetheart for me - bickering with Mari (which Mari usually starts because I love Anya more apparently when they are together and I have the audacity to talk with Anya) - which shows me she will come around once she is sure she is not going to be sent to this imaginary institution that American parents send their "bad" Ukrainian adoptees to. Where is this place and can you check them in for a few hours and do they tell you what to do for spitting?

Laura will be yet another good influence to show how a teenage girl should act. Now Anya has both an American teenager and a German teenager for role-models!

It was great seeing you guys today. Have a great night, pop off those fuzzy bunny slippers, and have some quality cuddling time with your gorgeous wife!

Will get around to updating our blog as soon as my ironing pile is significantly impacted in the downward direction - first things first!!!!

Hug your wife for me,
Twyla
(not signing John's name because that would be a weird request!)

PS - Keep saying "this too will pass, this too will pass, this too will pass" and be thankful that you only need a few minutes in the bathroom!

PSS - Thanks for blogging, my Mom loves your blogs!

jandt said...

Hey Matt,

Felix is promising a once a week update. How about a once a month rant? I miss having new material for the battle of the sexes with my wife. Thanks

Flush said...

How are things going? Yup, I keep jabbing for updates. Sorry LOL

Flush said...

Still checking in:) Hoep all is well.